Old 25-02-2006, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default algae growth and plant density

In article ,
John H. wrote:
I was wondering if increasing the amount of plants on my tank will cut down
on algae growth. If I keep everything else
constant, light hours, CO2, etc...?
I have this persistant hair algae problem that I'm keeping under control
with tank cleaners, otos primarly, but once
they clean off a leaf, theres more algae growning a day later. I used to
have a thriving tank w/o algae and the only think I can
think of different between then and now is the number of plants in my
tank...
any opinions?

Absolutely. The quickest way to nuke algae by adding plants alone
is to throw in a whack of floating plants. When the algae is gone,
remove some of them.

Duckwed, sylvadia and any of the lilly-pad floating plants are good,
water sprite, hornwort lexican oak leaf, hygro are all good. Typically
cuttings from another tank is all I use.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net