Old 09-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Gregory Young

Default String Alge

Great answer Jan!
I love the magic rocks bit..
Later,
Greg

"~ jan" wrote in message
s.com...
On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 05:36:17 GMT,
wrote:

Last year was our first year with a pond. The only real problem I had was
with string alge. I took armfuls out and the prefilters for the pumps

needed
cleaning every day. So how do I rid my pond of string alge? Any help

would
be appreciated.

Poor String Algae (SA) it is so misunderstood. :'o(

Folks never appreciate the fact that when it arrives it brings wiht it
clear water. ;o) Kidding aside, quite simply your pond is maturing, more
plants, sometimes less fish, though SA will show up in any new pond even
with a low fish load. Older ponds, with bigger fish can quit feeding and
let the fish work on it. Pull anything long, loose or floating on the
surface, at which time it is called blanket weed, out with a small plastic
shrub rake.

Anything long and wavy under the surface should be imagine as "Magic

Rocks"
remember those? Green stalagmites, if you don't. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a