Old 09-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Susan Erickson

Default Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

On 9 Mar 2003 11:15:40 -0800, (Wink)
wrote:

Hi:

I live in Canada & just started growing orchids in my unheated
sunroom. The winter temperature dips to about 50 deg F. So far I
have just started with some cool growers such as zygo's & cymbidiums.
I have been reading with fascination about Sharry Baby and wonder if
my environment can allow me to have one ...

Does anyone have experience on how cold tolerant this baby is? I have
had conflicting information on whether oncidium is a cool or
intermediate or warm grower in my reading...

Thanks a bunch!

Wink

We grow a wide variety of plants. Never (almost never) heat at
night above 55. Now given that the thermostat says it is cold
enough to need heat.. I do not know how cold it gets. John says
he has seen 53 on the read out. So we are getting down there.
If you want to keep it above that. I would suggest you do some
things to create passive heat gain during the day and put the
softest plants closest to that. Milk bottles filled with water,
painted black are one easy way to help up the night temperature.

Good Luck

SuE