Old 11-03-2003, 09:35 PM
Vespaman

Default Cold tolerance of Oncidium Sharry Baby

just my experiance that below 50 for extended periods of time and you can
lose your phals.

when i mean extended i am talking about 3-5 days of below 50 night temps

a day here or a day there below 50 i dont worry but if you get 3,4,5,6 days
you can bet you will lose something. i have a very large ascd. that was out
in the gh for a couple of weeks and it was getting down to 40 at night so i
thought i should bring it in and sure enough about a week later it droped
all of its leaves eccept 1 and the new growth.. whew!!!!!!

it had gotten cold damage and it took a week or so for it to appear

it had big thick leaves as long as your arm and i thought it would be more
cold tolerant then some of my small phal's but i was wrong it just took a
little longer for the damage to show

so i lost 1 and saved one by the skin of my teeth this year

remember Knowledge cost's......in this case it was the price of a nice phal.

jim

"Liam" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for sharing w/ us the cold temperature tolerance of Phals. I
have been wondering about this for a long time. I was just curious
would you say it would be safe for them in the 40-45 F zone or is that
pushing it? Or how about 45-50F?

"Vespaman" wrote in message

i have an unheated/uncooled green house here in so cal

my min /max thermometer thing tells me it is 42-44 at night and today

the
high inside me gh is 88-90 i have catts, ondonts, oncidium, epi's,

blc's,
brassavolla's, milt's, vanda's, den's and reed's and i have no damage
although i do notice that i bloom a little latter in the season than

most in
a controlled greenhouse, but i also notice that some of my plants will

bloom
twice off of different leads instead of just once a year, i think it

might
be because of the hot temps in the gh i get more growth "jmho" i also

take
all my plants into the garage when the temps get below 40 i have lost

alot
of phal's at 38 so they stay in my office or in my house untill i stays

at
50-55 all the time, i have lost too many of them to fool around and hope
they make it

oh and yes i have a sherry baby that puts up with the temps and seems to
allways put out 2 leads at a time

i also fert every time i water at 100% strength with 20-20-20after i see
spikes and with 10-30-10 during growth and i flush with "clean tap water

"
once a month

jim

i dont grow by the book, but hey it seems to be working and when they

dont
grow i throw the book at them and then i dont grow those type any more

"WNeptune" wrote in message
I live in Canada & just started growing orchids in my unheated
sunroom. The winter temperature dips to about 50 deg F. So far I
have just started with some cool growers such as zygo's & cymbidiums.
I have been reading with fascination about Sharry Baby and wonder if
my environment can allow me to have one ...

I run two temperatures in my greenhouse-warm and cool. For years I ran

the
cool
house at 48F at night, and 55F in the day; for the past two years I

have
run
the house at 45F and 55F, and have seen no difference for the plants

in
this
house-Onc Sharry Baby is one of the onc in this house.