Old 03-03-2006, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default septic tank and tree

In article ,
Dave the exTrailer writes:
| On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:09:58 GMT, "H Ryder"
| wrote:
|
| We have an old but still used, brick built septic tank in our front (north
| ish facing but big enough to get sun in parts) garden. It may or may not
| have a small crack in it but the surveyor recommended the removal of the
| large weeping birch growing right next to it. Ideally we'd like to replace
| this with another more appropriate tree - smaller with blossom and/or
| berries. Any suggestions as to something which will not damage the tank - is
| there such a thing? If not then any suggestions for shrubs. Will perennials
| be okay? There are lots of "sticky up bits" and man hole covers out there
| which I hope to disguise or hide by putting a mixed bed around the whole
| affair but, as we need reasonably frequent access, I need to work round
| rather than over it all. Any suggestions will be most appreciated,
| especially of strongly but sweetly scented plants .
|
| Leave it there and let the tank crack a bit more.
| It saves having it emptied

Well, yes. The surveyor is a clot. If the tank is suspect,
removing a large tree next to it is extremely likely to cause
it to fail. In any case, leaks from septic tanks are only an
issue if they go into a watercourse and/or you use really nasty
chemicals. If there is a reasonable distance of soil to any
watercourse, and the contents are good, honest shit, the birch
will simply mop up the leaks.

Get a second opinion - from someone who has been around a while.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.