Old 03-03-2006, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default septic tank and tree

"H Ryder" wrote in message
We have an old but still used, brick built septic tank in our front (north
ish facing but big enough to get sun in parts) garden. It may or may not
have a small crack in it but the surveyor recommended the removal of the
large weeping birch growing right next to it. Ideally we'd like to replace
this with another more appropriate tree - smaller with blossom and/or
berries. Any suggestions as to something which will not damage the tank -
is
there such a thing? If not then any suggestions for shrubs. Will
perennials
be okay? There are lots of "sticky up bits" and man hole covers out there
which I hope to disguise or hide by putting a mixed bed around the whole
affair but, as we need reasonably frequent access, I need to work round
rather than over it all. Any suggestions will be most appreciated,
especially of strongly but sweetly scented plants .

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

It sounds like the tank is on its way out and it certainly should *not* be
leaking.
Replace it with a plastic job and keep the tree.