Old 06-03-2006, 02:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
meee

Default Partial screening shrub/tree

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I have a question which I am sure has been asked many times before
about screening plants (for Melbourne). I have a picket fence approx.
4ft (1.2m) high and 15ft (4.5m) in length which I would like to plant
in front of. I am not looking for a complete privacy screening hedge
nor something that is super tall.

Ideally I am looking for a medium coverage, approx. 10ft (3m) tall.

Suggestions so far have been pittosporums, bamboo or conifers, none of
which I am really interested in.

Any thoughts? I have tossed up ideas about weeping trees of some sort
like a weeping cherry that would grow higher than the pickets then
cascade over slightly.

Thanks Heaps

Well, a weeping cherry that would grow higher than the pickets then cascade
over slightly would be nice. Seriously, if that is the image you have in
mind, go for it. Dwarf varieties of most things are available now, another
idea is a grafted weeping rose. This is climber style rose that has been
grafter on a very tall root graft, so you have a long 'trunk' with lovely
weeping rose branches. they usually retail for $50-$70 depending on the
nursery, and $50 plus postage from a rose catalogue. also we have a lovely
weeping ti tree in our yard, it has white, smooth, trunk and branches, and
resembles a weeping willow in style.Good luck!!