Old 06-03-2006, 01:44 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon

Default Partial screening shrub/tree

"meee" wrote in message

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
(snip)
Any thoughts? I have tossed up ideas about weeping trees of some sort
like a weeping cherry that would grow higher than the pickets then
cascade over slightly.

Thanks Heaps

weeping things have become quite de rigeur in my suburb (i'm in

canberra -
unfortunately ;-) and they really are just beautiful imo. the only

problem
is winter - they do look odd when they have no leaves. or perhaps that's
just me. at any rate, they're not leafless long anyway i suppose.
kylie

It's true you would lose the privacy value for a few months over winter,

but
the spring display of a flowering cherry is well worth it! Or you could go
evergreen, like the native ti tree I mentioned. But IMO, flowers are an
added bonus, so I'd go the cherry, or a weeping rose standard. You can get
any colour now, including icebergs, which are lovely, and also the newer
burgundy iceberg makes a lovely display. You can also co-ordinate this

with
a matching or contrasting climber over the fence if you want to go all out
on the roses!! I'd match a burgundy iceberg standard, with a weeping

cherry
and jasmine on the fence for a lovely, almost-all-year round display of

pink
and white fragrance

I guess the good news is not many people run around naked outside in the
winter time!

I am undecided on what to plant near fences. Most creepers go everywhere and
can cause the fence to come down. Trees break the fence and shade out your
yard and the neighbours. So my preference would be shrubs that grow to 3
metres maximum, can be pruned to 2 metres. They provide a screen and don't
cause as much damage as a tree and if it gets to the stage you need to take
it out you can do it yourself with out the need of a treelopper.

Some planting suggestions could be Coprosma repens - mirror bush, Hibiscus
mutabilis - Rose of Sharon, Royena lucid - snow drop bush and not so shrubby
Standard Roses are nice Iceburg a standout as thorns are light on. Downside
is lots and lots of flowers so lots and lots of dead heading.

Have fun

Richard