Old 12-03-2003, 11:12 PM
animaux

Default Frozen Oleanders, what to do

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:01:20 GMT, jac wrote:

Hi folks;
during the freeze a couple of weeks back, a hedgeline of Oleanders got
bitten fairly well. Now some of the leave are turning brown and some of
the major limbs are still droopy. What is the best way to turn them
around? Should all "obviously" damaged limbs be cut back? How far?
thanks for any advice someone can offer.
jac

Cut it back till you have green. You can cut it back to the ground and it
should come back. There is a pathogen which is putting oleander in decline in
the Austin area.

Last year my oleander was 6 feet tall and froze to the ground. I cut them back
and they were 6 feet again by the end of last year's growing season. My answer
to you is to cut it back however far you must to see green in the stems. Remove
everything dead, including leaves which turned brown. Don't leave it as mulch,
get rid of it, but don't burn it or rub your eyes and wear gloves. There is a
pretty strong sap which can be and usually is toxic.