Old 17-03-2006, 09:50 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Derek Mark Edding

Default Growing Bell Peppers

Interesting subject.

We grow a variety of peppers in pots on our deck each year. For
whatever reason the larger varieties seem to do poorly. We've had
bountiful harvests of Jalapenos, Thai, and Cheyenne peppers. Fair
harvests of medium sized kinds like Banana and Anaheim.

The large peppers we've tried, Bell and Poblano don't grow very well.
The plants seem healthy but the peppers show up late and grow slowly.

We get only a few bell peppers per plant by the end of the growing year.
These are about half the size of the ones stores sell, and they're hotter.

I've read that peppers can become cross pollinated from other varieties
nearby. I wonder if our bell peppers get spicy for this reason, and if
it can affect their growth?

-dreq