Old 14-02-2003, 10:51 PM
Radika Kesavan

Default Combining Roses with climbing vines

slackjeep wrote:

I have a similar question but I would like to combine a Joseph's Coat
climbing rose with a red trumpet vine on the same post of my pergola.
I figure the red trumpet would grow quicker and cover the top of the
pergola where the rose would stay more on the actual post and in
front. The colors are similar.

I can picture this beautiful spectical in my mind but fantasy and
reality may not always be the same.

Anyone have any experience with this combination? I'm in zone 10 if
that helps.

Dorys,

Trumpet Vine grows really fast here in Zone 9. If this were my Joseph's
Coat, I would worry about the trumpet vine outstripping and choking the
rose by not letting the rose get enough access to sunlight, etc.

I have a combination of a Bougainvillea and a climbing Red Wand rose
growing together, and they are identical in colour. Neither seems to be
smothering the other, at least in my climate, and I must say I am very
pleased with the effect. I am not sure if in your climate they will
behave well together or not, but they do here.

--
Radika
California