Old 24-03-2006, 11:16 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboyİ

Default To Compost or Not to Compost

Derek Broughton wrote:
CanadianCowboyİ wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:
wrote:

use plastic water pots with no holes, use loam, top with gravel.
pea gravel doesnt usually work, of course bare root will work in a
veggie filter tho.

water lilies dont do well in pea gravel, dont do all that well in veggie
filters
either. Ingrid
otoh, I've had success with lilies in pea gravel (and bare root). I'd
agree on the veggie filter though - there's usually too much flow for
them to be happy.

Bare root Lilies ??? Interesting concept.

I may try this but I did have trouble with fish nibbling at the roots of
my hyacinth which allowed them to go yellow and eventually die.

While fish _will_ nibble the roots of W.Hyacinth, are you sure that was the
cause? Hyacinths often fail to thrive when there's a potassium (iirc - I
always get my potassium/phosphorus mixed up) deficiency. They go yellow,
_then_ they lose their roots.
How do I stop this? I feed the fish everyday during the summer months .

If it is the fish, netting around the roots helps.

I didn't add any fertilizer to the pond for the hyacinth. It was my
first year last year with these plants. Should I give them any
treatment other than throwing them in.

Thanks in advance !