Old 24-03-2006, 11:49 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Anne Lurie

Default Tomato Help

MJ,

It sounds like a fungus of some sort -- I had a similar problem a few
years ago, even though I was using potting soil from a reputable source, no
outside contact for the plants, etc. In all my years of starting seedlings,
I never had that happen before, but it seemed to be classic "damping off"(?)

If these were from seeds of plants that your husband's grandfather actually
grew, you might try putting one or two seedlings in a bit of water.
However, if you are trying to grow the same variety (but not from the same
plants), I suggest you give up on these and see if you can start over with
plants (or may still be time to restart seedlings).

Also, depending on how close to the window the seedlings are, could it
simply be too cold there at night?

Hang in there, kid!

Anne

"MJC" wrote in message
My seedling plants are shriveling up and dieing. I had so much hope for
this
year. I have planted an Heirloom, latterly they are the ones my husbands
Grandfather always grew, Mexican Pinks and Yellow Pear. They are in
drained
pots right at the window sill. We have just installed 2 raised beds with
the
highest of anticpation. What could I possably be doing wrong? There are a
few plants left, can anyone help me save them?

Thanks for any ideas,
MJ