Old 29-03-2006, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Default General question about light

I suspect that the human eye is far more capable of detecting light than is
a plant.

If the two were close in sensitivity, stars would prevent plants from
blooming!

"?" wrote in message
rg...
On 28 Mar 2006 10:58:45 -0800 in
. com jtill
wrote:
Ray, my plants are outside so I try to place them so that they get
morning sun and mottled shade in the afternoon. I am to new at this to
have any information you could use. But, this seemed to be a chance to
ask about street lights. Are stray lights a problem for day length
controlled plants?

I've only seen literature on street lights having an effect on zygo-cacti.
Ray makes a good point about inverse square law quickly bringing the
effective light level to nill.
However, on nights with scattered low clouds , the bank of street lights
2 miles north of me produces entirely too much light in my yard for
stargazing to the south. And then there was the apartment I was in where
the bedroom window was about 10 feet away from the bulb from the street
light.
What I'm trying to say, is you need to indicate if you have a pathological
case with the street light illumination.

--
Chris Dukes
Suspicion breeds confidence -- Brazil