Old 30-03-2006, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

Default General question about light

I have only slowly got my act somewhat together on this orchid thing.
Probably will ask other question as time goes along. Because it is easy
here in the Houston/Galveston to use my yard for orchids only small
problems crop up. The street light worried me so thanks for discussing
that.To much light? I will let you know since mine get a lot of it. I
burned a Cattleya pretty bad last summer in what I thought was mottled
shade under a Pecan tree. Well. I was blocking the morning sun and not
the afternoon! Small problem right? HA! It is a little tricky to find
that spot in my yard that has the right lighting, in winter for sure
without the leaves. First I am working on growth, later blooming will
be cultivated. That Cattleya I sunburned did bloom this winter, burn
and all!
Ray, all the plants I buy seem to have rotten roots. Your SemiHydro
sure is looking better all the time. In a clay pot and saucer even the
pot gets into the act providing a wall of dampness around the root
system.