Old 31-03-2006, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

Default Growing Mimosa pudica in Montreal

I have grown this mimosa (sensitive plant) here in Winnipeg. I started the
seeds indoors in spring and put the seedlings out in late May. They
flourished, reaching a height and spread of about 20 cm before frost in
September. They flowered, and some of the seeds survived the winter and
sprouted next summer. Those volunteer plants did not become large enought
to flower before frost.

I kept a few plants indoors in pots. They became leggy in autumn and died,
probably because of not enough light.

I hope this helps.

Andrew

"SwordAngel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Would somebody know if it is possible to grow Mimosa pudica in
Montreal? Will it _require_ a greenhouse? I suspect it is rather
difficult to maintain the correct temperature and humidity throughout
the year, even indoor, without using a greenhouse.

Has anybody succeeded in growing Mimosa pudica in a weather similar to
Montreal's?

Cheers,
Kal