Old 14-04-2006, 03:10 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default which filter for suspended clay?

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:24:22 GMT, "Easynews" wrote:

Dear all,
We have a new large-ish wildlife pond, 10m (30 feet or so) roughly circular,
and about 5 feet deep in the middle. We have a problem with the local soil
being heavy red clay- as a result the water is permanently a greyish-brown
colour and water can't penetrate to plants. I've tried floculating chemicals
like "pond clear" but it has little or no effect- I think we would need
gallons and gallons of it for this size of pond. Can anyone suggest a filter
pump that can help us, without affecting the wildlife? If not, then what
filter/pump would clear the water the quickest, that we can run for a short
time before planting up?
Paul D.

Go to a pool & spa store where you can buy Alum very cheaply to flocculate.
~ jan