Old 14-04-2006, 10:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
BoyPete

Default which filter for suspended clay?

~ janj wrote:
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 07:24:22 GMT, "Easynews" wrote:

Dear all,
We have a new large-ish wildlife pond, 10m (30 feet or so) roughly
circular, and about 5 feet deep in the middle. We have a problem
with the local soil being heavy red clay- as a result the water is
permanently a greyish-brown colour and water can't penetrate to
plants. I've tried floculating chemicals like "pond clear" but it
has little or no effect- I think we would need gallons and gallons
of it for this size of pond. Can anyone suggest a filter pump that
can help us, without affecting the wildlife? If not, then what
filter/pump would clear the water the quickest, that we can run for
a short time before planting up?
Paul D.

Go to a pool & spa store where you can buy Alum very cheaply to
flocculate. ~ jan

Hi, pardon my ignorance, but can you explain what 'flocculate' is?
TIA
--
ßôyþëtë