Old 14-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Frogleg

Default Weeds...Weeds...Weeds

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:53:06 -0800, "J. Farnsworth Wallaby"
wrote:

Does anyone have a "pictorial" website for these dreaded of all growing
things so I can i.d. them?

Several chemical companies have "selective" herbicides to take out
things like broadleaf & dandelions yet not harm ice plant or surrounding
plant material. I want to be sure that I'm not killing a milkweed that
some butterflies use for a host plant.

Weed ID is difficult, at least finding out which you have. You kind of
have to know what it is to go looking. Posting a photo to
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens, or your own webspace is most helpful.

Alas, it's also difficult to sort OK weeds from the ones you really
hate, and find a specific treatment that shares your judgement. I'm
not (any longer) in iceplant territory, but 'broadleaf' pretty much
means any non-waxy things with leafy-looking leaves -- dandelion,
mint, tomato, whatever. A broadleaf treatment does well for lawns
where the leaf difference pretty much defines "lawn" and "weed."

Meticulous application is another way to go. If you have the time,
Round-Up can be painted onto individual plants. I don't know it it's
still available, but I used to go around squirting individual
dandelions with a can of foam Weed-be-gone that was very effective.
Just because you *can* spray wholesale doesn't mean you have to.