Old 17-04-2006, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Drainage for a lawn on clay soil

"BIGTOM" wrote in message
ps.com...
Neighbour's gardens ARE higher so water from them drains into my son in
law's garden.
Nowhere really for the water to go.
tom Atkinson

Tom as I see it from a remote situation, your Son in Law has three options.

1) Live with it as there is nowhere to drain to.
2) Build the garden up so his is highr than the neighbour's. Not too
practicable if their gardens are a lot higher.
2) Dig a hole through the clay to the sub soil in the hope that it will
drain through that sub structure, BUT, a) it will drain all his garden and
b) there is no gaurantee that the sub structure is any more absorbant than
the clay and 'might' be a mile down ;-)

There is a large Garden Gentre/ Nursery near me and before they put the
greenhouses up they wanted to know if the soil was absorbant to take the
water off the glass in the form of a soak-away. They dug a hole a metre deep
and filled it with water. A week later it was still there! The water that
is;-))

Mike