Old 19-04-2006, 12:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
Easynews

Default which filter for suspended clay?

wrote in message
does this pond have a liner? INgrid

"Easynews" wrote:

Dear all,
We have a new large-ish wildlife pond, 10m (30 feet or so) roughly
circular,
and about 5 feet deep in the middle. We have a problem with the local soil
being heavy red clay- as a result the water is permanently a greyish-brown
colour and water can't penetrate to plants. I've tried floculating
chemicals
like "pond clear" but it has little or no effect- I think we would need
gallons and gallons of it for this size of pond. Can anyone suggest a
filter
pump that can help us, without affecting the wildlife? If not, then what
filter/pump would clear the water the quickest, that we can run for a
short
time before planting up?
Paul D.

To give a few more details, the pond was constructed in November last year.
It is butyl lined, with a geotextile top layer, then clay soil. There is
nothing in the pond other than a few water beetles that arrived on their
own. So I'm mystified as to why the suspended clay isn't settling out. We do
live in a windy place and my guess is that wind and rain continually wash
more clay particles into the water. I guess that when the plants start to
grow up around the edges things will improve- but meantime is there a filter
I can use to clear the water?
Paul D.