Old 19-04-2006, 03:33 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default which filter for suspended clay?

the kind of filter that works with clay is a settling tank. Clay typically takes
24-48 hours to settle out of water. it forms a colloid with water which is the
problem. a single filter isnt going to do it cause it would clog up, but a series of
2 or 3 will help a lot. first I like the gray stuff here
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../5065/cid/1403
next would be this reticulated foam
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...21854/cid/1271
and the last in line is polyester padding, find it at Walmart, get the stuff that
ISNT TREATED for fire resistance or germicidal.
they are going to have to be cleaned out as they fill up with crud. so the filter
will have to be turned off and cleaned away from the pond.
I would suggest a gravity filter using a tall garbage can .. holes in the bottom
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/c...AVITY%20FILTER
use a separate pump to fill the can at a rate it can handle. put largest filter
material at the top, polyester at the bottom.
Using flocculating agents to clump the clay will help, of course.
Ingrid

"Easynews" wrote:
To give a few more details, the pond was constructed in November last year.
It is butyl lined, with a geotextile top layer, then clay soil. There is
nothing in the pond other than a few water beetles that arrived on their
own. So I'm mystified as to why the suspended clay isn't settling out. We do
live in a windy place and my guess is that wind and rain continually wash
more clay particles into the water. I guess that when the plants start to
grow up around the edges things will improve- but meantime is there a filter
I can use to clear the water?
Paul D.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/