Old 14-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Mary McHugh

Default How do you get rid of moles without traps

len wrote:

Now ther are few points here. Number one, is that these animals are
migrating, seeking to fill a void. Two , its not a good thing. Len

Actually, they are returning in many areas, not migrating. Overdevelopment
compounds the problem by removing natural habitat.

And, like most things there are good with the bad. The good is that coyotes
tend to keep the rodent population well in check. The bad news is that pets are
also included on the menu.

The cats that get it first are those that are dog friendly. We've never had a
dog so our cats are extremely suspicious of dogs. That is the main thing that
keeps them from being coyote bait. I used to keep my cats in at night but that
proved to be futile with cat doors. We even built our own wooden doors that
close over the plastic doors and they latch with eye hooks tightly seated. Not
only can the cats open that to go outside, they can even somehow manage to open
it from the outside (eye hooks are on the inside). So, I gave up and figured
that they'd have to take their chances.

As far as dogs, I think you just have to keep them in.

Also, a motion detector security light helps. Coyotes, being very wily, tend to
avoid areas with light. I watched one in the backyard one night. I got a phone
call just as I came in so I hadn't yet turned the lights off. While I was on
the phone I saw an oppossum wander thru. Right behind him was a coyote but
while the 'possum wandered right thru the light, the coyote refused to come into
the lighted area, preferring to just hang out at the edge waiting for the
'possum.

They don't bother the larger animals. Actually, the horses find canine hockey
quite amusing.

Mary