Old 24-04-2006, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
John Sankey

Default "watts per gallon"

This standard American measure of lighting presents a problem -
fluorescent lights produce anywhere from 30 to 110 lumens/watt!
I'd like to come up with a metric conversion (it would be
lumen-hours/liter). A survey of what aquarists really use could
help establish that.

So, my question to newsgroup readers who grow plants in fresh
water aquaria is: what type(s) of fluorescent lamps do you use?
To judge lumen output, the type code of the lamp (e.g. F40T12/WW),
manufacturer, and its age (how many hours/day do you run it,
how long has the lamp you have been in use) are the most important.