Old 24-04-2006, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default attaching rambler to house

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"H Ryder" writes:

I have a rambling rose - v vigorous I think - it was in a tree. Now
I would like it to ramble all over our bungalow but how do I get it
to do this? The bits I'd like covered are too high for me to reach
easily. I've seen houses covered in beautiful roses, all over - how
do people get them to "stick"?

A stepladder?

Roses are not climbers, and will need tying on. They are typically
fairly stiff, so it doesn't have to be done very often, but manual
attention is needed a few times a year.

I let one grow too well once, and the whole thing fell off. Nightmare.
So make sure the fixings are far stronger than you think necessary. If
you don't like ladder work, it might be a temptation to use quick
lightweight fixings: I'd resist such a temptation, and drill and plug
for stout screw eyes to take horizontal wires. Black army telephone wire
or good galvanised wire.

--
Mike.