Old 26-04-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default list of poisonous plants

"H Ryder" wrote in message
I know that lots of plants are described as "poisonous" when in fact they
just give you a bit of a bad tummy, whilst others can be fatal. I have
small
children so am trying to rid the garden of anythign fatal to them but do
not
mind the "bad tummy" plants. Does anyone know where I can find out just
how
poisonous plants are? Am especially interested in Daphnes as I'd love to
have one but have avoided getting one as they seem "very poisonous" but I
am
not sure of this. Also please let me know of any common plant which is
fatal
to children - I know of Lords and Ladies (Acorus calamus ) and nightshade
but am not sure of others. (I also know that I can tell them not to eat
anything but that does not work in a garden full of raspberries etc - they
know that they can eat some stuff )

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

The lethal dose of most things is related to the body weight of the
individual, so obviously small kids are most at risk.
Education will be the best form of defence but I agree that it is not a good
idea to have lethal plants.
The one that regularly gets the chop is Laburnum.
Please remember that just because a plant does not appear on a list of
nasties does not mean that it is totally harmless.