Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 AM posted to aus.gardens
Potaroo

Default Which Lemon and Mandarin?

Thanks Bronwyn, I'd go the Lime, if i were in frost free I would.
Cheers

"HC" wrote in message
G'day

Eureka is a good cropper.....it's just that I 'used' to make lots of
cheesecakes and living at that time in a high frost area, a Meyer was
recommended. But then I discovered the juice won't thicken the
condensed milk used in the filling. Meyer is sweeter due to it's low
acid content. Can't really comment on it's cropping behaviour as I
moved to the coast and the new house had a Eureka.

At the moment I don't have a lemon tree but planning to get one...or
maybe even a lime?? Then again I'm in a frost free area now. Not sure
if this helps?

Bronwyn ;-)

Potaroo wrote:
Dead right Geoff they are still selling a few around here out of season.
Eureka looks like it might be the goer then as I use lemons in my

cooking
for justa bout everything. If for example I need to water my cooking

down,
i ude a bit of lemon, or orange juice or other juice thats around. I

was
hoping that Bronwyn might have advised of cropping. (Are you reading

Bron,
like to know love, cheers)

Thanks Geoff. (and Bronwyn)

"Geoff & Heather" wrote in message
u...

We are a bit further North in the Hunter and have a Eureka lemon that
despite getting constantly wind burnt or frost bitten, and being on

1.5m
high constantly produces more lemons than we can cope with. From

memory
its the Eurekas that fruit constantly whereas the Meyers tend to crop

all

at

once - depends on what you need I guess.

I agree with your comments on Nurseries, I reckon its almost criminal to
still be selling Tomato, Corn and Capsicum seedlings around here -

without

warning that you need a hot house to get them to ripen now. I feel

sorry
for the new gardeners heading to a nursery thinking that whatever is

around

(especially seedlings) is OK to plant now - or that plants in the

Nursery
are actually suited to the local environment.

Geoff

"HC" wrote in message

G'day

If you want to use the lemons to make cheesecakes, then do NOT get a

Meyer

as the acid content is too low to thicken the condensed milk. OTH,

Meyer
is sweeter so might suit you for other purposes.

Mandarin......Murcott is my favourite, it's sweet with good sized

fruit.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

Potaroo wrote:

Hello Aussie garden gurus. Can someone recommend the most prolific
fruiting
Lemon and Mandarin for a small suburban backyard garden in the

Hawkesbury

region of NSW.
I don't want to select the wrong one to take up space. ..and I'm
scpeptical
about nurseries after all they will advise and sell what they have.
Cheers, TIA