Old 02-05-2006, 01:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
CANNON-FODDER

Default Weed Killer and Ant Killer that is dog friendly

Sam Alexander wrote:

Hi everyone,

Our back yard is about 3/4 acre, and we have a 7 year old basset hound who
stays in the yard. I need to put something out to kill the crazy outbreak
of ants that've started moving in, but I'm not sure what to use that won't
hurt the dog. I use Amdro on the front lawn and it works well, but the
package says not to use around pets.

Also, any ideas on a weed killer? Thanks --

Sam

Patience and a water hose.
With [new] fire-ant mounds, just flood it until you get the egg rooms.
They usually move on to the neighbor's yard, where he can put down all the
poison he wants (I have high sensitivity).

Should work for other the other ants (except concrete/nuisance ants - they
do not seem to leave).

I've moved from fire-ant country, but I was going to make a little tripod
for the hose to place right on the mound, so I did not have to crouch down
(and dance around the defensive surge).

I also thought about experimenting with a probe that sticks in the ground to
better the chance I disturb the egg rooms with an [unattended] hose.

--
v/r,
C-F