Old 15-03-2003, 05:32 PM
jc

Default Another wheelbarrow question

"Richard" wrote in message
. ..
Last summer I needed to borrow a wheelbarrow to haul some stuff around

my
yard. My neighbor (elderly lady) loaned me her wheelbarrow, one of the

old
fashioned tubular steel handled with the solid wheel type. Needless to

say,
while it was in my care the tubular steel crumpled up where it was

bolted
to the tub. I need to get her a new one, and she has indicated that

she
wants one like that, she does not want a garden cart or anything else.

But
the most important thing is she does *NOT* want an inflatable tire,

she
wants it solid.
Does anyone make the old fashioned steel tube wheelbarrows anymore? If

not,
I'll be forced to buy the smallest wooden handled one I can find, and
replace the wheel...

A suggestion - Most of the Lowes & Home Depots in our area have a
smaller wheelbarrow, about 3 cuft, that is smaller and better-balanced
than the larger contractor style wheelbarrows. But it has wooden
handles. You can replace the 6-inch inflatable-tire wheel with a
10-inch wheel that has a rubberized plastic hard tire. The profile is
nearly the same as the original tire. It is narrower than the original
tire and will need bushings on each side to keep it centered on the
axle. Bushings can be made from 1/4-inch PVC pipe, steel EMT, or
various other materials. The narrower wheel may bog down in soft
soil - I put two of the wheels on mine which makes it a bit wobbly on
soft soil. Another caveat - the hard "rubber" tire is hollow and
overloading can force it off the rim. I have had that happen with
handtrucks but still not with the wheelbarrow. Good Luck. -Olin