Old 04-05-2006, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Coronation oaks

"Grant Menzies" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear group -

Not far from where I live in Sidney, British Columbia, there is an old
Anglican church overlooking Patricia Bay. In the churchyard is a tree
that fascinates me - it's a so-called "Coronation oak," planted from an

acorn taken from Windsor Great Park, in honour of the 1937 coronation
of King George VI. I understand quite a few of these acorns were sent
out to Commonwealth countries and trees planted from them. Not all of
them have their original plaques like Sidney's, but people generally
remember what the trees were planted for. My question: was this
sending out of acorns an effort that came from the royal house itself,
or from some body like the Royal Horticultural Society, or some other
organisation entirely? I've written to the RHS and am hoping for a
detailed response.
Best thanks - Grant Hayter-Menzies

Interesting subject!
I'd never heard about tehse trees and so went agoogling..........

Don't know if you are prepared to pay for the info which might be he
http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/books/ebo...1904eBook.html

Jenny