Old 06-05-2006, 06:17 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno

Default Cape Weed

HC wrote:
G'day Linda

I know how frustrating it can be starting such a big lawn area from
scratch....been there myself.

Kero would work if dabbed on each plant but I'm just wondering if you
have a Roundup Wand or can borrow one because that would work too.
The wand attaches directly to a small bottle of roundup and has a
large wick (approx 20-25mm). If you don't have a wand maybe you could
rig something similar?

Hope this helps? I'd be hesitant to spray anything unless it's a very
calm day with absolutely NO wind, but that probably depends more on
your location.

Bronwyn ;-)

Linda H wrote:

Grrr. I've got it everywhere. I was told wherever the soil has been
turned it comes up (we're in a new house just built - everything was
previously turned/excavated.) We sowed lawn seed all over the front
area after levelling the saved topsoil from our excavations (close to
an acre) and whilst the lawn seed sprouted more Cape Weed than grass
came up. I gave up lifting them out after about an hour when I saw I
had many hours to go.

We have a large quantity of "Weed & Feed" but it says on the
containers not to use it on new lawns less than 3 months old. It's
been in only about 6 weeks. (A friend who works at a nursery said
they use Weed & Feed there very successfully and got us some at a
cheap price so we bought it.)

Someone here mentioned a little while ago about dabbing kero on the
cut off centre of a plant they wanted to be rid of (lillies I think
it was.) Does anybody think that would work on this weed? We need to
give the area its first mow and wonder if I should do that after the
tops are cut off them.

A commercial contractor could be hired to spray it safely for you. Ger a
guarantee of him as well in writing...