Old 06-05-2006, 11:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jose

Default CITES re Euathe sanderiana

When I was still living in Manila, Philippines, I had a modest
collection of Euanthe sanderiana, which Filipinos refer to as
"waling-waling". Most of the lot came from established orchid
sellers/dealers, while a few were given to me as gift. With regard
to their origin, whether they were lab-grown or harvested from the
wilderness, I never truly knew. Said plants flourished under my care
for years until I left the Philippines.

Here in the US, I found some dealers of Euanthe sanderiana via the
Internet. I contacted three of them and ordered some pieces from
each. I am happy to note that, at the present, even if I only have a
humble set up of baskets bearing said orchids in my California
apartment's east-facing windows, my plants are flourishing!

Well, my US work contract will end in 2007 and I will return to the
Philippines soon afterwards. I will bring back with me most of the
stuff that I own and love, including my apartment plants. But, I
don't know how CITES impacts endangered flora trafficking, and how it
relates to non-commercial transport of plants.

Which of the following thoughts running through my mind is/are
correct?

1. I am not involved in commercial plant selling/reselling. I am
merely a hobbyist who likes growing the waling-waling, and I would
like to bring along my apartment specimens back to the Philippines.
How would the US Customs and the Philippine Customs officers deal
with such a case?

2. Endangered species are NOT supposed to be taken out of their
natural habitat. Meaning, harvesting the waling-waling from the
wilderness is a violation. In my case, though, what I have are very
likely lab-grown waling-waling plants.

3. Furthermore, I am not removing said endagered plants from
Philippine forests and spiriting them away to some other country ...
I am, in fact, bringing them along with me as personal effect.

HELP?