Old 06-05-2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Default CITES re Euathe sanderiana

1) Euanthe sanderiana is a CITES Appendix II species, so international
trade is permitted.
2) CITES does not apply in this case, as there is no TRADE going on.

Those points made, you have to deal with authorities interpretation of the
rules, but I would hope that it would not be an issue.

From the US' perspective, there is nothing to be concerned about, as they
have absolutely no jurisdiction on your move and relocation of a tropical
plant that is not a native.

The bigger (and probably ONLY) issues are obtaining a phytosanitary
certificate for the plants before you ship them, obtaining an import permit
from the Philippines, preparing them for the importation process, and
getting them "through the door" once you get there.

However, the absolute best way to deal with the whole issue is to simply
send them to me.

"Jose" wrote in message
When I was still living in Manila, Philippines, I had a modest
collection of Euanthe sanderiana, which Filipinos refer to as
"waling-waling". Most of the lot came from established orchid
sellers/dealers, while a few were given to me as gift. With regard
to their origin, whether they were lab-grown or harvested from the
wilderness, I never truly knew. Said plants flourished under my care
for years until I left the Philippines.

Here in the US, I found some dealers of Euanthe sanderiana via the
Internet. I contacted three of them and ordered some pieces from
each. I am happy to note that, at the present, even if I only have a
humble set up of baskets bearing said orchids in my California
apartment's east-facing windows, my plants are flourishing!

Well, my US work contract will end in 2007 and I will return to the
Philippines soon afterwards. I will bring back with me most of the
stuff that I own and love, including my apartment plants. But, I
don't know how CITES impacts endangered flora trafficking, and how it
relates to non-commercial transport of plants.

Which of the following thoughts running through my mind is/are
correct?

1. I am not involved in commercial plant selling/reselling. I am
merely a hobbyist who likes growing the waling-waling, and I would
like to bring along my apartment specimens back to the Philippines.
How would the US Customs and the Philippine Customs officers deal
with such a case?

2. Endangered species are NOT supposed to be taken out of their
natural habitat. Meaning, harvesting the waling-waling from the
wilderness is a violation. In my case, though, what I have are very
likely lab-grown waling-waling plants.

3. Furthermore, I am not removing said endagered plants from
Philippine forests and spiriting them away to some other country ...
I am, in fact, bringing them along with me as personal effect.

HELP?