Old 15-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Default Largest Brassia species?

My only brassia hybrid is Edvah Loo 'Nishida' AM/AOS (longissima x
gireoudiana), and it's flowers are taller than any of the parents I've ever
seen.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"Pete" wrote in message
Which Brassia species produces the largest spidery flowers? Longissima or
gireoudiana?

Some say it's gireoudiana and some say longissima? I have a gireoudiana

that
is spiking for me for the first time and this plant gets really HUGE fast.
It was a small seedling two years ago and now is a big specimen size

plant.

I have a longissma hybrid which is actually 75% longissima and 25%
gireoudiana and the blooms were quite long (about 12 inches from top to
bottom, if I remember correctly) but the plant is much smaller in size.

The
bulbs are much much smaller and flat with only one leaf or two to each

bulb
which I guess is from longissima because gireoudiana has big bulbous bulbs
and 4 large leaves to each bulb.

Thanks in advance!

Pete