Old 08-05-2006, 10:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

Default How to prune a lemon tree?

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 May 2006 20:10:33 -0700, Wil Schultz
wrote:

Hello all,

I have a lemon tree that really could use some trimming back. I've
scoured the interweb and cannot seem to find out how I should go about
this, I hear that if not pruned properly that I may not see any fruit
for a couple of years.

The tree is about 15' high.

Thanks in advance!

In the orchards here they just top them, they use a machine that looks
somewhat like a big lawnmower and cut anything off that is above about
6 to 8 ft. One consideration, don't do it too soon. the new growth
at the top of the tree gives some frost protection, after frost is
gone then cut at will.

This may be how they are done in bulk where costs are a major consideration
but better results will be obtained by a more selective approach. There are
plenty of detailed references about but it comes down to something like
this:

At the right time of year and using the appropriate cutting technique:

1) remove any dead or decayed wood
2) remove clutter and admit light by thinning out
3) compact by shortening branches that are too tall or overly long and weak

David