Old 16-05-2006, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default Dying Phal.

On Mon, 15 May 2006 18:23:25 -0500, wrote:

Hi, I figured there were alot of people in here with a lot bigger
collections than mine greenhouses etc. so was wondering about a phal. I
have. It slowly died back after yes the last ditch effort to pollinate
by blooming. I've seen this before were the roots dry up and end up
looking like a dried clump of wood. It seems to have a dormant spike,
no base leaves - only two leaves coming out of the spike (about an inch
off of the soil) I once read in here - well that plants toast, throw
it in the compost pile etc. Has anybody seen one put on roots like a
kiekie? I'm keeping it regardless of how long it shows life (dormant
spike) but just wondered what everyone's else's experience has been.

It has leaves -- I have even watered the stump until the kiekie broke
ground when it came from below the crown rot.. You have leaves - You
have life. The MOTHER plant's roots are still working for that
suspended set of leaves. WATER and care for it. It will grow up.
SuE