Old 18-05-2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Carlock

Default I.D. a bug in my Garden (???)

"D.Reid" wrote:
I'm in North Florida...vegtable garden and I have seen many
small 3/16" - 1/4" Orange colored bugs with 6 black legs.

Might be a lady bug in the pre-lady bug stage?

I have quite a few lady bugs in this stage right now. They start
off as little green grubs then grow bigger and bigger. When they
hit the 2mm size (1/8") they start to turn orange or brown or
black. When they're 1/4" in size (8 to 10mm) the black spots
become more visible on a larger shelled orange body.

They were covering a cowpea a couple weeks and I wasn't
sure what they were at that time, so I hosed down the cowpea
with water and they all disappeared. I noticed them on a blooming
mustard and I started to wash them off (they were still very
small critters greenish tannish in color). However the plant
didn't appear damaged. So I left the rest alone. Today I noted
two of the bugs were quite large (didn't count the number of
legs though), orange in color and spotted (1/4" and bigger).

Hope this helps.

Jim Carlock
Post replies to the group.
--