Old 20-05-2006, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

Default Radishes or turnips ???

"AndyS" writes:
However, today when I picked a dozen or so, they were about 2 inches
in diameter and looked A LOT like turnips. I couldn't tell by the
taste,
since a radish seems a lot like a turnip to me... They looked like
turnips, and had the purple band around the top like a turnip does.
Some were radish size and some were turnip size..

So, my question is, if one lets radishs go a long time before
picking, do some of them increase in size and look like turnips...??

Some radishes will grow large. But a 2" diameter in 8 weeks is far too
fast-growing for them to be a turnips IMO. A sprinkling of salt before
eating will better bring out the spicy radish flavour! Try giving a
couple to your neighbours and ask what they believe them to be. If you
leave radishes to grow too large they usually get very hot and the
flesh goes spongy.