Old 16-03-2003, 07:20 PM
mypet

Default Going bats! Bathouse questions....

We are located in AL and have procrastinated about getting a bat
population started. We have looked at plans for the houses and where
they prefer to be positioned and I had a few questions.

As we are so far south will the bats get too hot in summer if we put
them in full sun and up a 15-foot pole? Could that be why some of the
rec.garden listers are saying they had inhabitants at below that
height?

On the bat houses that some house different numbers of bats. How many
bats should a person try to cultivate per acre? Have any of you had
your population long enough to see a decrease in the amount of
mosquitoes?

I note that you should live within one-quarter mile of a water source.
We live within that distance of a small river. Will the bats leave
the bat house and head for the river or do they mainly hunt close to
home?

Are the houses sufficient to build a population or do you need to get
a brood box as well?