Old 22-05-2006, 12:32 AM posted to sci.bio.food-science,sci.chem,rec.gardens.edible
Radium

Default Why Do Ripe Fruits Smell Bad?

Jim Carter wrote:
On 21 May 2006 12:43:16 -0700, "Radium"
wrote:

I am interested in what chemicals are responsible for the foul odors
emitted by ripe fruits.

I find the smell of most ripe fruits to be pleasant.

If you mean overripe fruits then you are smelling the waste
products of the microorganisms that are breaking down the fruit.

The gas likely depends on which putrefying bacteria are prevalent
in your area.

Well, according to my nose, most ripe fruits have a similar foul odor.
I really can't describe it well. All I do know, is that the odor is
foul but it does NOT smell like rotting flesh.