Old 16-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Rob

Default Dying bareroot

I would also like to add that it is better NOT to mix in alfalfa in de
planting hole, as it might damage the roots when it decomposes.

Not meaning to be rude, but how, exactly?

It's not from my own experience, but a lot of websites writing about alfalfa
say it's better not to add it to the planting hole because the decomposing
of the alfalfa generates heat. Maybe it is safe to use in small quantities,
like you state, but maybe not. To be on the safe side, use alfalfa as a top
dressing and use decomposed organics (compost) as a soil amendment in the
planting hole.

I agree that quick release fertilisers and manures will burn roots, but
Osmocote and other organic types (alfalfa included) are great in small
quantities. The idea that roses would become lazy around the presence
of nutrients is an absurd concept.

Well, the part about the laziness was just illustrative. I meant to point
out that an abundance of nutrients might slow down root formation, because
there is less stimulus to spread out and search for 'food'. Or, explained
differently, if there is an abundance of nitrogen, the plant starts to grows
stems and leaves before its root system would be the size you want it to be.
Also, you don't need to add fertilizers to a plant that does not have roots
yet, because it cannot absorb the nutrients. Give it a year to get the root
system going and then start fertilizing for good growth and nice flowers.

Rob