Old 16-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Allegra

Default Another Batch of Roses

"Cass"wrote

Souv. de Mme Leonie Viennot, Allegra's fault because if she hasn't
recommended it already, I'll bet she will

She did recommended it already -while turning green with
envy- and telling you that it would do much nicely in your
area than it could ever be expected to do in Portland.
Gorgeous, drop dead gorgeous. She drove me to distraction
when I attempted time and again to grow her here. Unfortunately
my first one came from Roses of Yesterday and...never mind.
No point in going there.

But she likes warmth and doesn't like too much cold and in
those years the climate was pretty even, more cold than warmth
in Spring and thus nothing like these days and she was not
happy here. Which brings me to a note about Souvenir de
la Malmaison. Years ago she was a royal pain in the back.
When she wasn't sulking, she was balling and when not,
she was refusing to bloom. Nothing could coaxed her into
doing anything logical or at least pleasant in those days.

Yesterday we went out in the back and there she was,
leafing like crazy, looking for all the world to see
like the happiest little rose in creation. So I guess that the
change in temperatures -unusual in Portland this time of
the year - has its effect on her disposition.

So, one good turn deserves another. Since your comment
made me think that both the dear Madame Leonie Viennot
and SdlM were close cousins in their behavior then, it is
absolutely your fault that I am going to order her again
to see if the new climate and new microclimate makes her
more easily pleased. ( Unique Too dear, you are absolutely
correct, do not believe a word I say about no more roses...
This time is Cass' fault however.)

Allegra