Old 24-05-2006, 12:53 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by K
Living in the north of New Zealand I am familiar with the Norfolk
Pine(Agathis heterophylla). It is closely related to the NZ Kauri
Agathis australis.
[snip]
I would think that as Cordyline australis (Cabbage Tree) grows well in
Southern Britain then Norfolk Pine would like wise do well, however in
a more sandy,gravel, coastal spot.
check out my website
www.bushmansfriend.co.nz[/color]

Can someone update me n the taxonomy please? I know the Norfolk Island
Pine as Araucaria heterophylla. So is Agathis the new designation, an
older one, or something different altogether?
--
Kay
It is Araucaria heterophylla, and thus only a second cousin to the Kauri (Agathis australis), which is in another group in the Araucariaceae.

He also has it wrong in thinking that because I can grow a Cordyline in many places in Britain we can also grow Norfolk Island Pine here. We can't, outside the Scillies.