Old 24-05-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Norfolk Island Pine

On Tue, 23 May 2006 17:15:39 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from bushman contains these words:

I would think that as Cordyline australis (Cabbage Tree) grows well in
Southern Britain then Norfolk Pine would like wise do well, however in
a more sandy,gravel, coastal spot.

Cordyline does well as an open garden plant much further north, all
up the west coast of Scotland. Not least because given a mild winter
climate (just a few degrees of frost), it's very tolerant of high wind
and high rainfall. I can easily grow many NZ plants outside here but not
Norfolk Pine.

Norfolk Pine hasn't got nearly such a wide range as an outdoor survivor
in the UK.

Janet. (Isle of Arran, west coast of Scotland).

Agreed. IIRC they have a few on Tresco, and possibly in one or two of
the very sheltered NT gardens in west Cornwall (Glendurgan?), but I
wouldn't even consider it in my garden also in west Cornwall.

--
Chris