Old 25-05-2006, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gail Futoran

Default Hopefully my water is better now.... what next..?

"Pete" wrote in message
news
Thanks for all your replies and help with diagnosing the problem with
my tank water.

Here's where I've got to now.. (with a few questions, if anyone can
lend a hand please..)
I removed all plants and discarded all those that were not healthy or
had algae (i.e. most of them).
Pulled out the undergravel filters/powerheads.
Hoovered all the gravel over the last 4 days causing a 25% water
change/day (a bit drastic I know) and it looks pristine.
One thing that crossed my mind - I've got on average about 2" gravel -
is that about the right amount?

I have 2-3" in my planted tanks. Actually I have
mostly profile with a thin layer of gravel over.
But I had a 10 gallon that was strictly gravel
that managed to grow C. wendtii like weeds.

Replanted, cleaned glass and flouro tubes and replaced mylar (posh
baco foil) reflector on lid.

I put all the driftwood & bark into a fairly strong bleach solution
for a day then have left it on the shed roof to wash in our great
British weather - can I re-use the bark/driftwood ?? It's been well
washed over the last dew days!

How strong a solution? I'd be tempted to soak
it in water in a bucket until I could no longer
smell any chlorine (sniffing the driftwood, not
the water).

Today I installed an Eheim 2329 wet/dry (bio) filter (what fun that
was! and why do they supply such short hoses? I had to spend £14 to
buy new ones), the biggest surprise was how much the water level goes
up and down as it 'breathes' - I'm hoping this, in conjunction with
the Eheim 2217 and removal of the UGF's will keep my water sweet.

I've ordered a pair of 150W metal halide lights that'll help with the
plant growth. They're 2nd-hand and I'll have to replace the bulbs,
does anyone know what I should be looking for in terms of K rating? -
for freshwater tropical, so the MH is mainly there for the plant
growth.
Should I also continue to run the 3 x 36W Triton's in conjunction with
the MH lamps for about 10hrs/day?

http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/

I'm pretty casual about lighting - using the
hoods that came with the tanks (at least
they're fluorescent!). My plants don't mind
low light. I think the amount of light partly
depends on the kind of plants. E.g., more
colorful plants require more light.

At the time of writing the fish all seem very happy - such lovely
smiles - and with all the manky plants gone, there's so much space!

Thanks in advance for your continued help
Pete

Good luck in your pursuit.

Gail