Old 25-05-2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Pete

Default Hopefully my water is better now.... what next..?

On Thu, 25 May 2006 03:11:30 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
news
Thanks for all your replies and help with diagnosing the problem with
my tank water.

Here's where I've got to now.. (with a few questions, if anyone can
lend a hand please..)
I removed all plants and discarded all those that were not healthy or
had algae (i.e. most of them).
Pulled out the undergravel filters/powerheads.
Hoovered all the gravel over the last 4 days causing a 25% water
change/day (a bit drastic I know) and it looks pristine.
One thing that crossed my mind - I've got on average about 2" gravel -
is that about the right amount?

I have 2-3" in my planted tanks. Actually I have
mostly profile with a thin layer of gravel over.
But I had a 10 gallon that was strictly gravel
that managed to grow C. wendtii like weeds.

Replanted, cleaned glass and flouro tubes and replaced mylar (posh
baco foil) reflector on lid.

I put all the driftwood & bark into a fairly strong bleach solution
for a day then have left it on the shed roof to wash in our great
British weather - can I re-use the bark/driftwood ?? It's been well
washed over the last dew days!

How strong a solution? I'd be tempted to soak
it in water in a bucket until I could no longer
smell any chlorine (sniffing the driftwood, not
the water).

Today I installed an Eheim 2329 wet/dry (bio) filter (what fun that
was! and why do they supply such short hoses? I had to spend £14 to
buy new ones), the biggest surprise was how much the water level goes
up and down as it 'breathes' - I'm hoping this, in conjunction with
the Eheim 2217 and removal of the UGF's will keep my water sweet.

I've ordered a pair of 150W metal halide lights that'll help with the
plant growth. They're 2nd-hand and I'll have to replace the bulbs,
does anyone know what I should be looking for in terms of K rating? -
for freshwater tropical, so the MH is mainly there for the plant
growth.
Should I also continue to run the 3 x 36W Triton's in conjunction with
the MH lamps for about 10hrs/day?

http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/

I'm pretty casual about lighting - using the
hoods that came with the tanks (at least
they're fluorescent!). My plants don't mind
low light. I think the amount of light partly
depends on the kind of plants. E.g., more
colorful plants require more light.

At the time of writing the fish all seem very happy - such lovely
smiles - and with all the manky plants gone, there's so much space!

Thanks in advance for your continued help
Pete

Good luck in your pursuit.

Gail

Thanks Gail - interesting weblink. I was wondering which type of bulb
to use in the MH setup and now I think I know.

Thnaks again & best wishes
Pete