Old 28-05-2006, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit
sherwindu

Default grafting onto black cherry

Laura,

Without researching it, I would guess that wild black cherry was in the same
genetic
family as sweet cherry. That is something you have to first check out. I know
that
crab apples will pollinate regular apple trees, but the analogy could break
down, in this case.

As for grafting, there are places that sell scion wood, including the sweet
cherry varieties. It may be too late in the season to do a standard 'whip and
tongue', but
the summer time would be ok to do some bud grafting. There is lot's of material
on
the web on this kind of grafting. Just google for 'bud grafting'.

Sherwin D.

Lacustral wrote:

I have wild black cherry tree about 30 feet tall ... I don't want to cut
it down, is it possible to graft some sweet cherries onto it, a couple of
varieties that will cross-pollinate? I'm thinking the lower branches
could be sweet cherries. where would one get cuttings to graft on? I'm a
complete novice to grafting.

thanks
Laura