Old 28-05-2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit
John McGaw

Default grafting onto black cherry

sherwindu wrote:
Laura,

Found the time to check further. Both sweet cherries and wild black cherry are
both prunus, so grafting should be possible.

Sherwin D.

snip...

Whoa! Don't go too far too fast. Prunus is a large genus and off the top
of my head I recall that cherries and plums and apricots and peaches and
nectarines and sloes and almonds (of all things) are all members. I'm
pretty sure that the requirements for successful grafting are much
stricter than mere membership in the same genus otherwise you'd surely
seem some serious franken-fruit trees for sale at every nursery.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]