Old 31-05-2006, 05:34 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Qs from Newbie Pond/Koi keeper - Att: Kelly

*Note: There are two *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups

"Kelly" wrote in message
ups.com...

Cathy Lee wrote:

You have too many fish in such a small body of water. The shop keeper
should have told you this before selling you koi.

Yes, I know this. But we won't be able to upgrade until next year.
What I am asking is, how can I make this work in the meantime?????

Yes, with a lot of partial water changes and good filtration and aeration.
:-)

You can't just "trade in" $80.00 worth of fish. Again, advice to make
this work until next year would be appreciated.

It is a large biological filter (good for up to 500 gallons) that's
bottom fed by the pump and then the water flows out the top by
waterfall. The substrate is lava rock.

Sounds adaquate.

Should I be concerned about the fish scratching themselves today?
Could this be caused by the nitrite levels?

Some people claim so but I haven't seen mine scratch when a tank or pool was
cycling. Only when there were parasites.

You can Google pond+cycling and parasites. It would save people a lot of
typing.

Gee thanks for the tip, I've already done that. I wanted specific
advice for my personal situation and that's why I came here.
Evidently, this was a mistake. I don't see very many helpful people
around here. Just a bunch of trolls. Newsgroups have really gone
downhill over the years.

Yes, they have. That's because ISPs don't enforce their abuse rules
anymore, so Usenet is slowly becoming Uselessnet sad to say.

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.