Old 31-05-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Qs from Newbie Pond/Koi keeper - scratching

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Hal" wrote in message
On 30 May 2006 17:35:51 -0700, "Kelly"
wrote:

I really want my koi fish to make it through until next year when we
can do things right. They were expensive and I would hate to lose
them.

Jan's suggestion of salt is a good one.

Is there a possibility of setting up a kiddies pool next to the pond
and diverting the flow from the waterfall into it and then into the
pond? The kiddies pool would give you a place to add lots of plants
that remove nitrates from the water.

Regards,

Hal

This is an excellent idea if they have the space. These pools are only $10
and last for a at least a year. That would give them time to dig their
larger pond and get a good size bunch of plants going. The scratching would
have me concerned. Since losing almost every koi I had to ulcer disease a
few years back, I'm a bit paranoid about parasites now.....
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.